Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chaos?

I love fall, but it is always a little bit chaotic. This year more so than most with me going back to teaching full time and the three older kids all in different sports. There are times (like Wednesdays) where I wonder why we do it. Let me explain...I get home from school between 3:30 and 4 most days. For example, on Wednesdays I rush home so that we can get Mady to volleyball practice at 4 in Lehi (a 10-15 minute drive, depending on traffic). We get home shortly after 5, and Jake gets picked up for football between 5:30 and 5:45 (thank heavens for carpools!), so he has to hurry and change, and I try to feed him something halfway healthy. Then we leave for Gabe's soccer practice at 5:50, and don't get home until after 7. By then it's bathtime. Jake gets home between 7:45 and 8. Scriptures, prayers, and bedtime. It makes for a crazy schedule. I'm not complaining, just explaining.
Then there are the days we go to the games. Seeing Gabe's excitement and enthusiasm when he scored his first goal of the season, or the confidence he gains when he makes save after save as goalie. Watching Jake's confidence and ability grow as he gets more playing time, makes a great block or tackle, or even makes a catch for the P.A.T. Watching Mady go after the ball when no one else will. Seeing her overhand serve go over the net. Those are the things that make it all worth it. Watching my kids grow and succeed from season to season in their chosen sports. It's really neat as a mom to see the end results of all the effort, and it makes me so proud of them. That's when I know that a crazy schedule for two or three months a year is not as big a deal as it seems, and it is so worth it.

4 comments:

Pitter Patter of Petersen's said...

Deb,
I know just how you feel on the craziness. You are right, the rewards are all worth it in the end, as they grow and see their own accomplishments is awesome.
Brenda

Mikki said...

Quite the juggling act. You are awesome!

Emma said...

I'm beginning to feel that Wednesday rush, too - and it's only Jeter's soccer and Abby's dance so far. Tell Mady I can't even serve it over the net overhand. How wonderful for each of them.

Phil said...

Plus she has a husband who is never around and should help more than he does.
Deb, you are an amazing mom and wife.
I love you!
Phil