Friday, November 6, 2009

Jackson and the Novacaine...

I took Jackson to the dentist on Monday for two fillings. When he woke up on Tuesday, his upper lip was still swollen, which I thought was strange. That afternoon he had another appointment for two more fillings. When he came home, his upper lip was still a little swollen, but his lower lip was huge. Apparently he "chewed on" his lip and cheek while they were numb, which caused the swelling to remain. We urged, begged, pleaded him to not bite his lip after the Novacaine on Tuesday. This is how he looked when he fell asleep on the LoveSac at 7 Tuesday night.

Not too bad, right?
This is how that same lip looked the next afternoon:

It looks awful and painful! The whole inside of his lip is white, you can kind of see that in the pictures. I don't think these pictures showed his lip at it's biggest. People thought he got hit in the face when they saw him on Wednesday! Thankfully, the swelling does seem to be going down, albeit very slowly. He is on a diet consisting mostly of jello and pudding (and of course Halloween candy, stubborn kid!). He has been a trooper, though, and the dental assistant told me on Tuesday she has never seen a kid do as well as him, being as brave as he was, even the second day in a row.
I can't help but wonder if maybe he is allergic to the novacaine?

1 comment:

Eight for Eternity said...

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! That looks awful! I hope it heals fast, and flaulessly! I think I would wonder the same thing about the novacaine. I wonder where that stubborn streak comes from??? ;)