Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cub Scout Day Camp

I spent the week at Cub Scout Day Camp with Gabe last week. The theme for the week was Wizards.
My friend Allison was the other den leader in my group, which made it more fun for both of us. We had 19 boys (mostly 9 year olds). No that was not a typo. We had 19 nine year old boys in our den. For the most part, they were pretty good. We had great weather, probably the only week this summer where the humidity wasn't overbearing.
The boys got to do archery, sling shots, crafts, scout skills, sports, and nature every day. We had two den times, plus opening, closing, and lunch where we were all on a tarp.
We got the spirit stick the first day, and almost got it again the next day. Our den won the camp tug-of-war competition two days in a row. (Then they stopped doing tug of war and started playing capture the flag)
The 9 year old boys got to tie dye t-shirts on Tuesday to wear on Thursday. We went on a couple of den hikes past the old closed up mines there at Old Mine Park. We looked for quartz in a quartz field.
We fixed boo-boos, listened to whining, stopped arguments, encouraged boys, passed off scout requirements, and so much more for five days. Did I mention that there were 19 of them? Just checking.
During all this time, Jackson was in the "tot lot". He got to play, make crafts, and who knows what else.
Anyhow, Gabe had a blast. So did Jackson. And I realized I could do it again if need be. Too bad that next year it takes place right smack in the middle of our family reunion.

1 comment:

Ali Andrus said...

I don't think I tell you enough how much I admire you Deb!!! You are really so amazing! Wow...19 of them, I love it! You need to realize not just anyone would be up to that task...I think me included! I can't even imagine how much fun it must have been for Gabe to get to spend such a great week with you! And you captured some really great camera shots too! Miss you Sis! Love you so much!-Ali