Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ignorance is Bliss

Since Phil and I got married over 17 years ago, I have rarely had a reason to go to the doctor. Other than pregnancies and annual visits, I have gone on two other occasions. The first was in 1997. The second was for a sinus infection last fall. So I wasn't too excited when I was told I needed a physical to volunteer at Gabe's cub scout day camp. I finally made the appointment a week before camp, and went for my visit. The doctor was extremely thorough, but it was pretty painless. Except she wanted me to get blood work done.
Ignorance is bliss as far as I am concerned. If I don't know something's wrong, then I am healthy. Isn't that how it works? I finally got my blood drawn last week (a full month after the physical) because Mady had to have hers done for a volleyball physical (she tries out for the team this weekend). I couldn't make her get her blood drawn and not have mine done as well.
Mady wanted me to go first. (This is the girl who left the room when her little brothers got shots. From the time she was little, she has done this. To say she doesn't like needles is an understatement.) Seven tubes later it was her turn. I kid you not, they filled seven, that's right I said 7! tubes with my blood. (I told you the doctor was thorough.) Mady only had to have two done.
I got a call from my doctor's office yesterday. They got the results from my blood work, and wanted me to come in to discuss it. Uh, hello, that's never good news. Let me go back to my ignorance please...
They set up an appointment for 8:00 this morning for me. Phil didn't work today, so he went with me. I admit, I was stressing. Come to find out, my vitamin B12 levels are low. I need to start taking supplements and get retested in 3 months. And my insulin levels are really high for fasting.....Fasting? I wasn't fasting when I had my blood drawn. Oh.....
Stressing for nothing. I need to eat better. I need to take a multivitamin. And we could have found all that out on the phone. Oh well. I guess knowledge isn't so bad either, especially when you are blessed with predominantly good news.

4 comments:

Ali Andrus said...

I am so glad to hear you are healthy Deb! Make sure you stay that way!! I love you so much, I'll tell you what....you take your multivitamin every day and I will make sure I take mine!!! When do you start the new job??!?!

Emma said...

Sounds like a panic attack that could have been avoided if they'd just tell you over the phone! Glad it's nothing more serious; I'm sure you and Phil are as well.

Mikki said...

That is really funny. Love those doctors. I am glad to hear that your call back was minor. I was hoping that he was going to tell you that you were pregnant. :) hehe.. jk.

Clark Fam said...

I thought you were going to through out that you were pregnant! Althought, that would have been ok too. Glad you're healthy!