Friday, March 25, 2011

Change

It's a little strange. After 6 and a half months in Kentucky, I couldn't wait to leave. Not even a tinge of regret. Didn't look back. After six and a half months at Masuk, today was my last day. And it was hard. I realized I was a little more attached than I originally thought.
But it was good. And I have to look forward, not back. On Monday (I hope) I start at Wooster Middle School in Stratford. I am taking over an honors geometry, honors algebra, and three prealgebra classes for the remainder of the school year.
But I have to say, it sure feels good to be appreciated. I know that I was meant to be a teacher. And I know that somehow I am able to connect with kids. But I frequently second guess my abilities as a teacher. But the kind comments I have received over the last week remind me that I am a good teacher. (Phil constantly reminds me...and it's not that I don't believe him ---although he is a little biased---but I guess it has to do with the fact that he hasn't really seen me in the classroom).
I had a rough time with saying goodbye to some of the kids. I guess we all like to feel needed and important. And the math department bought me a cake and a pot of tulips (not sure how they knew those were my favorite!), and gave me a card with a giftcard inside. Totally unexpected. But the best part was that they told me that since the math lab was instituted at Masuk it has never run this well. And Mary, the department chair, said that if she had her way they would hire me in a second, she would even trade teachers if it were possible.
But a new page is opening. And I am excited for the new opportunity. It was a good jumping off point to start the new one. And here's my chance to prove to myself that yes, I can handle it out here on the east coast.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Good luck with you new job!