Sunday, March 13, 2011

Quick Update on the Homefront

Just a quick update on the Wilkins out here in the flood zone.

Our snow is almost gone...finally. It was replaced with several inches of rain this past week. So much that last Monday school was cancelled due to flooded roads. They weren't all flooded, but a couple of major roads had some out of commission areas. Lake Zoar, the reservoir about 1.5 miles away on the Housatonic River, which both Phil and I drive across on our way to work, was above flood stage. Higher than it's been in years, apparently. Made getting to work on time difficult for me, as everyone stopped to watch the water come over the dam. It sounded a little like Niagara Falls. The river just up the road was worse. It reminded me of the huge flooding in St George a few years back. Houses on the side of the road completely under water. The river was HUGE. Between the massive rain and all the snowmelt, the river just couldn't handle it. More rain on Thursday and Friday brought more problems. But the tsunami in Japan put it all back into perspective.

On another note, I am finally getting some job interviews. On Friday I signed on with a teacher's placement agency. (Who knew there was such a thing? Certainly not I, or I would have signed on LAST year!) They immediately sent me to an interview in Stratford at a school about 20 minutes door-to-door. It's a maternity leave full time sub position for the remainder of the year. It doesn't pay much more than I am making now, but the district has over 30 people retiring this year, and will definitely be hiring some math teachers for next year. A good way to get my foot in the door. I am supposed to teach a class there on Tuesday. It will require me doing lesson plans and grading, etc.

I also have an interview tomorrow in Westport. Another full time maternity leave position. This one is math support, similar to what I am doing now. No lesson plans, no grading (I don't think). About 30-35 minutes away. Pays three times what Masuk is paying me right now. And they anticipate openings next year, depending on how the budget works out. Another way to get my foot in the door.

I am just excited to have some positive things happening. Don't worry, we will keep you posted!

No comments: