Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Job

The night before I posted about needing a job, I had replied to a Craigslist ad for tutors. It was nearly 11:00 at night, and I just felt like checking out the listings under education on Craigslist before going to bed. Most of the posts like it had not amounted to much, so I didn't really think too much about it, but when I got online the next morning (Wednesday), there was an email asking for a resume. I emailed it back, and within an hour we were scheduling a job interview for Thursday.
I looked up the company website, London Bridge Services, online, and it looked legitimate. But as I drove to meet the owner at her house, I started freaking out. You know, "what am I thinking meeting someone I have only talked to through emails at their house". I called Phil when I got there so that somebody would know where I was if something went wrong. Paranoia? Yeah, maybe. But in this world, it's called for, especially coming from me, who is usually overly trusting.
Once I got there, though, I felt tons better. Sam is from England and completely down to earth. I liked her from the minute she started talking. And the job was mine to take. She even offered me more per hour than she listed on her posting.
I started the following Monday. I currently have two students I am tutoring through the company, for a total of 4-5 hours per week.
The job pays well, and reminds me how much I enjoy teaching kids. It is flexible in that I set the hours I am available. Unfortunately, most of the hours I work are in the evenings and so far it is not enough for what we need.
But it is a start, it has potential, I enjoy it, and I know it is an answer to prayers.
So for now, we will take what we are given gratefully, knowing that things will work out.
They always do.

2 comments:

Beau and Rach said...

wow, must have been meant to be:)
We miss you guys!!!

Eight for Eternity said...

Congrats Debbie! How exciting, it is a good start, and doing something you love is good!