Thursday, January 7, 2010

School!

Finally, after over a month, all four kids are back in school. Oops, I meant, ALL FOUR KIDS ARE BACK IN SCHOOL!!!!! YIPPEE!
Enrolling in school out here turned out to be much more difficult than I expected. When they wouldn't enroll the boys (in elementary school, mind you) because they didn't have their records, including their cumulative files (really? for a kindergartener? How much can really be in that folder?) , I began to feel like Nora from Pete's Dragon. "But (they) need an Education, Education, Education!"
Finally, on Tuesday I got the magic words....they start tomorrow!!!

Poor Mady started on Monday, and is now somewhat into the routine. It took a few days to get the bus schedule down, but even that turned out for the best, as her morning bus time changed from 6:40 to 7:05. She goes to the high school for geometry first period, and gets bussed from there back to the junior high. She has several classes with a friend from church, including lunch, which has really helped with the transition.

Jake started Wednesday, but they didn't even have his records yet. His principal decided to just start him, knowing that he needed to be in school and that they would show up. (I already love that man!) They did show up in the mail during his first day. Jake also has a boy from the ward in his class. He is excited to be involved, and glad to be back in school. He will be even happier when we can get his math straightened out.

Gabe was probably the most excited to start school. He knew that he needed to be in school to make friends, and he made two his first day. He is loving the attention the "new kid" gets, especially in a school that doesn't get too many new students. We need to work out something with his math, as well. He and Mady have kept busy with homework, but he doesn't complain about it. He likes school.

Jackson cracked me up when I took him the first day. I asked him if he was nervous. "Mom, I'm just shy". Yeah, right! That made me laugh. Jackson is definitely NOT shy. He was a bit nervous, but jumped right in and got involved. He is struggling with waiting for afternoon kindergarten to start. He is used to going in with his brothers, so it's new for him to go to afternoon kindergarten, and he gets impatient in the morning. He got to ride the bus to school by himself today, and he thought that was pretty cool.

Four kids, four morning bus schedules. The day starts early with Mady, and the younger boys don't get home until almost 4:30. Makes for a long day. But I will take it over having them all home every day bored out of their minds.

When I dropped Jackson off yesterday for his first day, I left the school feeling a little unusual. I didn't know what to do with myself! It's been a long time since I have been home during the day, and never without kids there! Not that there isn't plenty to do around the house, but just for two hours, I was a little lost. Being home all day is different than having a day off or vacation day and being home. I'm sure I could get used to a few hours home by myself, and could definitely get some things done, but I realized for the first time that I NEED a job. I NEED to have something to do.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

It sounds like all your kids are adjusting well. It is nice that they have friends from your new ward. I hope you find a great job to keep you busy.

Mikki said...

Are you kidding you deserve a break!! Do something for you, you are used to running all day. I am glad that they are all adjusting so well. Miss you!

Eight for Eternity said...

It is good to hear all seems to be falling into place for your family! I hope you find whatever it is you are seeking job wise. I assume it is teaching? Good Luck