Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Field trip with 70 Seven year olds

So Gabe proceeds to tell me Sunday night that I would be going with him on Tuesday. Not sure of what he was talking about, he tells me that he signed me up to be one of the parents to take the 1st grade to the Discovery Museum in downtown Salt Lake. Nice how a six year old can just volunteer a parent and I have to be there, huh?

He was far too excited for me to let him down, so I went.

I have to tell you that it was quite possibly the loudest 6 hours of my life. I am amazed at the noise that 70 six and seven year olds can make, especially in a small space, like a bus.

I was in charge of just 4 kids, including Gabe. The little girl was as cute as can be, but asked a million questions. One of the boys, was Speedy Gonzales and was out of my sight in a split second. And the other boy was, well...lets just say that out of 6 hours I was with him his finger was in his nose about 5 and 1/2 of those hours. Pleasant I know. And then there was Gabe and for some reason, even though he is my kid I was not concerned in the least if I knew where he was. Bad parent, I know.

On the bus ride home, some brilliant child started the chant of..."All day is recess, all day is recess, all day is recess......" and that chant continued the entire way back to school. I think that chant will haunt me to this day and cause an immediate headache!

It was fun and I loved hanging out with Gabe, but as soon as we got back to the school I asked the teacher if she needed me anymore and I headed straight to the Chevron for a much needed Diet Coke!

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

That is a way cute story - I liked the part about the nose-picker!

Kelly said...

Diet Coke is NASTY! I think if you tried Pepsi...you would have felt better.

Emma said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I'm glad you went with Gabe - that was good of him to give you a day's notice at least, right?

Kelly said...

I think I saw that kid the other day...picking his nose. No wait..it was just my nephew.

Amy Jorgensen said...

How very nice of Gabe to want his Dad to come along...I'm sure he was just excited to show off his cool dad so all the other kids would be jealous. I think I have the "bad parent of the year" award sewn up this year, so you don't need to worry about that. We'll be out in Utah this summer for a whole month. We must find a way to get the families together. Maddy is dying to see Maddy.